[Pdns-users] Configuring dnsdist

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sat May 8 18:40:23 UTC 2021

On Sat, May 08, 2021 at 01:28:55PM -0500,
 Steven Garner <stevenjgarner at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 78 lines which said:

> I thought recursion was required for a DNS server to communicate
> with other DNS servers to determine an IP address and return it to
> the client.

Hosting "several hundred public domains" is not an easy task so, yes,
I would recommend you study DNS before (specially if it is a
commercial service). A server is either an authoritative server or a
resolver. An authoritative server does not handle recursive queries,
and does not send them. They just take one query and return one
response. Resolvers handle recursive queries and, in turn, query
authoritative name servers to get the responses.

If you like videos, see this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEMXK04d3O0

Some programs (BIND, and, in some way, Unbound), can do both
authoritative and resolver service but most people regard it as a bad
idea.

> All I am wanting to do is list my dns
> servers at the name servers with the domain registrars, and have my servers
> be authoritative for the zone information.

Then, you need authoritative servers. PowerDNS recursor is useless
here, and dnsdist is not mandatory. It could be cool but you can start
without it, just with PowerDNS authoritative.