[Pdns-users] Recursor address in Dnstap messages

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Fri Mar 19 10:12:22 UTC 2021

Hello Hans,

On Fri, 2021-03-19 at 10:08 +0100, Hans Seidel via Pdns-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are using the message logging via Dnstap of the PowerDNS Recursor
> (version 4.4.2). Since we have several instances that send us log
> messages, we want to distinguish the different instances via their IP
> address. I assumed that recursors IP address is set in the
> query_address field of the Dnstap massage but it is not set at all.

You're right, the code does not set it.

How about the identity field? Is that set in the feeds you get?

> Is there an option to set/add the recursor IP address to the Dnstap
> messages?

Not right now, the code simply is not there - filing a feature request
via https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose is always
possible, of course, but first I'd like to see if the identity field
might work for you.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk