[Pdns-users] PDNS Authoritative and CNAME pointing to external Domain responds with NXDOMAIN

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Jun 22 14:16:55 UTC 2021

On 22/06/2021 14:55, Thomas via Pdns-users wrote:
> I have upgraded pdns authoritative server from version 4.3 to version
> 4.4.1 on CentOS 7, MySQL is the backend.
> If I query a CNAME record on both servers I get the following error
> (do not remember if it worked before the upgrade):
>
> [root at pdns1 log]# nslookup www.example.it localhost
> Server:         localhost
> Address:        ::1#53
>
> www.example.it        canonical name = cms-v2.externaldomain.cloud.
> ** server can't find cms-v2.externaldomain.cloud: NXDOMAIN

Firstly, please don't hide domains: see

https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/

Secondly, which of those domains is your server authoritative for?

PowerDNS will not attempt to follow CNAME records.  General recursion
was removed in Authoritative Server 4.1.  (It will send queries for
ALIAS records, but only if you've configured it with a recursor to use).