[Pdns-users] PDNS Authoritative and CNAME pointing to external Domain responds with NXDOMAIN

Thomas thomas at plant.systems
Tue Jun 22 14:54:50 UTC 2021

Am 22.06.2021 um 16:16 schrieb Brian Candler:
> On 22/06/2021 14:55, Thomas via Pdns-users wrote:
>> I have upgraded pdns authoritative server from version 4.3 to version
>> 4.4.1 on CentOS 7, MySQL is the backend.
>> If I query a CNAME record on both servers I get the following error
>> (do not remember if it worked before the upgrade):
>>
>> [root at pdns1 log]# nslookup www.example.it localhost
>> Server:         localhost
>> Address:        ::1#53
>>
>> www.example.it        canonical name = cms-v2.externaldomain.cloud.
>> ** server can't find cms-v2.externaldomain.cloud: NXDOMAIN
>
> Firstly, please don't hide domains: see
>
> https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/
>
> Secondly, which of those domains is your server authoritative for?
>
> PowerDNS will not attempt to follow CNAME records.  General recursion
> was removed in Authoritative Server 4.1.  (It will send queries for
> ALIAS records, but only if you've configured it with a recursor to use).

Sorry, was not aware of that. So let me try again....

Doing a "dig www.zur-sonne.it +nostats +nocomments +nocmd @localhost" I
(think) get correct result:

; <<>> DiG 9.11.4-P2-RedHat-9.11.4-26.P2.el7_9.5 <<>> www.zur-sonne.it
+nostats +nocomments +nocmd @localhost
;; global options: +cmd
;www.zur-sonne.it.              IN      A
www.zur-sonne.it.       10800   IN      CNAME cms-v2.sihosting.cloud.

And nslookup can not resolve cms-v2.sihosting.cloud as I pointed it to
localhost to query from. Correct?
Where is the stick I could hit myself? Feeling stupid....Should not do
this with more than 30° Celsius temperature.

Thanks and sorry for the noise,
Thomas