[Pdns-users] How to Update from PDNS 4.1.14 to Latest?

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Wed Feb 24 08:56:48 UTC 2021

Hi Jackson,

On 2/24/21 8:57 AM, Jackson Yap wrote:
> After checking for compatibility and pdnsutil check-all-zones, how do I
> update from one PDNS authoritative server version to another?

I would recommend checking after upgrading :). Usually it makes sense to

1. Install the new version
2. Dump+import or clone the old database
3. Do the schema changes on the clone
4. Test (including running the new pdnsutil)
5. Upgrade the production system

You can upgrade by either upgrading you OS. But even better is grabbing
our packages for your distro from from https://repo.powerdns.com/.

> Also regarding number of version to update, what will be a safe version
> recommended for PDNS 4.1.14 to update to first?

Latest stable auth is 4.4, supported until June next yer (see the EOL
statements[1]. We try to make upgrading as painless as possible, hence
the upgrade guide.

Cheers,

Pieter

1 - https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/appendices/EOL.html