[Pdns-users] LMDB or SQLite backend

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Apr 27 15:32:12 UTC 2021

On 27/04/2021 16:07, Ambauen Daniel (ID NET) via Pdns-users wrote:
> One reason is I don't want to have a separate server process for the database.

> Our DNS system includes ~ 1100 domains and 600'000 domain names without DNSSEC. One domain is very large (400'000 records), many are smaller than 10 records. DNSSEC will double the number of DNS records in our system.

For that scale of operation I suggest you think carefully about your
choice of not using a "proper" database.

There is a big advantage in using a real database like postgres or mysql
with PowerDNS: you can use native database replication. This gets rid of
all issues around NOTIFY, AXFR etc.  Instead of "one hidden primary and
two secondary servers", you would have one internal main database (no
DNS server at all), and two public DNS servers, both of which have
read-only replicas of the main database, using the replication mechanism
provided by the database itself.

You can also use standard techniques to backup the database.