[Pdns-users] Reverse Lookup zone subnetted

bryantz-pdns at zktech.com bryantz-pdns at zktech.com
Thu Jul 18 23:02:28 UTC 2019

We have a /27 block of IP's from our datacenter

Using binddns we listed them like this example

zone file - 60/27.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa
We then added PTR records for it would looks something like

62.60/27.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.ourserver.net
63.60/27.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.ourotherserver.net

For some reason PowerDNS will not handle the reverse zone as 60/27.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa
It will not respond to reverse dns lookup requests.

If I pull the 60/27. off and use just the first 3 octets of the domain / zone I can get reverse lookup to work, but
We can't respond to the full /24 as we only have smaller blocks.

Is there any clean way to only listen on a subnet for reverse DNS lookup?

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks