[Pdns-users] [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: Trying to find a simple "how to" - pdnsutil secure-zone version

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 10 15:57:25 UTC 2019

On 10/04/2019 16:03, Edward Lewis wrote:
> But I have to declare temporary failure.  While I'd like to master building PowerDNS, I have a time constraint.  I'm preparing training DNSSEC materials for a ccTLD.  The DNSSEC side I know, operations I understand.  It's just that they told me last week they use PowerDNS.  Now my 'fear' is that they will have a different PowerDNS set up in place from what I am hoping to build and anything I generate now, if I could, might be different enough to be unhelpful in the training.

As long as it's not powerdns v3, it should be fine.

> It would be unfair to compare to BIND here - which I've used for 20 years - but it has spoiled me in the "one tar-ball" installation.  (Of course, BIND's code base is a hairball.)  And I've worked with NLnet Lab's unbound, that though took years before I could build it on my available platform (MacOS).  I'm not surprised that building open source packages takes work.

powerdns is just an "apt-get install" away, especially if you choose the
right repo.  If you wanted to run bind with a mysql or LDAP backend, I
expect you'd be in a similar situation.

As someone else already suggested, using pdns-backend-sqlite3 instead of
mysql would have eliminated all the SQL server setup woes and would be
the quickest way to get up and running, even if not ideal for a
production environment.