[Pdns-users] [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: Trying to find a simple "how to" - pdnsutil secure-zone version

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Wed Apr 10 15:03:48 UTC 2019

On 4/10/19, 10:24, "Brian Candler" <b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:

Thanks, Brian...good questions...

>During installation of what?  Did installing pdns-backend-mysql try to install mysql as a dependency and remove mariadb??

I cycled through apt-get install and 'remove --purge' for maria-db and the pdns-backend-mysql.  (The host I'm experimenting on is busy with a separate experiment, so I haven't gone as far as a reboot.  Yet.)

>Showing the actual error message you see, and relevant console logs, is always helpful.  Otherwise we're just guessing what you're doing.

Yes, but as I tried different permutations, the errors were "dancing" around.  The root cause is that I didn't install things in order, and I'm not even sure what version (in general) is installed with the apt-get.

(A question: does "pdns-backend-mysql" define a/the schema PowerDNS expects in a database?)

>You said you are using Ubuntu 16.04: but what version of pdns-server and pdns-backend-mysql did you install?  The best place to get powerdns packages is from https://repo.powerdns.com/.

Yep, 16.04, and apt-get is installing something with "alpha" in the name (always a bad sign).  I wish I had known about the repo earlier, web searches [how I began] didn't turn up a link to that.

>The ones in the OS repos are often way out of date (especially a three-year-old OS).  Specifically the version 4.0.0~alpha2 from Ubuntu 16.04 was broken in some important ways.

Thanks.

But I have to declare temporary failure.  While I'd like to master building PowerDNS, I have a time constraint.  I'm preparing training DNSSEC materials for a ccTLD.  The DNSSEC side I know, operations I understand.  It's just that they told me last week they use PowerDNS.  Now my 'fear' is that they will have a different PowerDNS set up in place from what I am hoping to build and anything I generate now, if I could, might be different enough to be unhelpful in the training.

It would be unfair to compare to BIND here - which I've used for 20 years - but it has spoiled me in the "one tar-ball" installation.  (Of course, BIND's code base is a hairball.)  And I've worked with NLnet Lab's unbound, that though took years before I could build it on my available platform (MacOS).  I'm not surprised that building open source packages takes work.

I also realize that for an open source effort, keeping all the documentation, especially user guides is a monstrous effort and what doesn't help are out of date webpages (by others) giving "old" advice.

PS - What's floating around in me is Lua or Lua2...I bet the operator is using that, so me playing with mySQL might not be the best use of my time.