[Pdns-users] [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: [Ext] Re: Trying to find a simple "how to" - pdnsutil secure-zone version

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 10 14:24:10 UTC 2019

On 10/04/2019 15:02, Edward Lewis wrote:
> On 4/10/19, 09:11, "Brian Candler" <mailto:b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> You are missing the relevant pdns backend package, which I believe is "pdns-backend-mysql".  apt-get install it.
> Thanks.  But now I'm completely hosed.
>
> During installation I added a password (good) ... but eventually hit an error indicating I already had a data base with a conflicting name.  Now I'm trying to undo/start over from scratch.

During installation of what?  Did installing pdns-backend-mysql try to
install mysql as a dependency and remove mariadb??

Showing the actual error message you see, and relevant console logs, is
always helpful.  Otherwise we're just guessing what you're doing.

You said you are using Ubuntu 16.04: but what version of pdns-server and
pdns-backend-mysql did you install?  The best place to get powerdns
packages is from https://repo.powerdns.com/.

The ones in the OS repos are often way out of date (especially a
three-year-old OS).  Specifically the version 4.0.0~alpha2 from Ubuntu
16.04 was broken in some important ways.

Regards,

Brian.