[Pdns-users] Two sqlite backends, only one getting queried

LordEidi lordeidi at swordlord.com
Wed Oct 17 14:09:44 UTC 2018

On 17.10.18 14:34, bert hubert wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 01:52:19PM +0200, LordEidi wrote:
>> PowerDNS starts and runs without an error. But when queried I only get
>> answers to records which are in the first sqlite DB. The content of the
>> second DB is completely ignored. No error in the logs. There is also no zone
>> info when using the cli tool to check the status of pdns.
>
> Can you show your configuration, without editing?

Not really w/o editing. But here you go:

pdns.local.conf

#
launch=gsqlite3:first,gsqlite3:second

# Database location
gsqlite3-first-database=/home/test/first.sqlite3
gsqlite3-first-dnssec=off

gsqlite3-second-database=/home/test/second.sqlite3
gsqlite3-second-dnssec=off

Both sqlite databases contain full structure, as well as records in
domains and records tables. In domains I tested both, MASTER and NATIVE
types.

> Additionally, check if you have a . SOA in your first database. Once
> PowerDNS finds an applicable SOA in a database, it will not study secondary
> ones.

That is a good hint which kills one of my use cases. One use case would
have been to have a core database and have the dyndns service only
access the second database.

I take it that this is non sqlite specific behaviour. If I had two BIND
zonefiles or a mixtures of backends, that would be the same?

As a hint, I would have loved to read that in the doc re backends. :)

>> Any hints what's the problem? Is the Debian package somewhat old and this is
>> a known bug which was fixed in a newer PowerDNS version? Or is there some
>> trick when using multiple sqlite backends?
>
> We have done some work to make it better. https://repo.powerdns.com has
> packages you can use to test.

Good idea.

What would you recommend for production? Your package or the debian
projects'.

> In general, it will work as long as there is no overlap in zones between the
> two backends.

Again, this is non sqlite specific, this is a rule in general?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Eidi