[Pdns-users] Where is the database schema?

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Feb 28 21:48:45 UTC 2017

On 28/02/2017 21:20, NoBloat wrote:
> I have installed a master server.
>
> In my case, I already use godaddy's DNS servers as they suit the purpose. However, I don't want to constantly have to log into GD to change records as I am dealing with a significantly large number of remote devices using dynamic IPs.
>
> I always know their IPs so don't want to use a ddns service and instead, simply want to auto update the pdns server's db with the IPs of the devices I need to reach.
>
> The static dns records would remain on godaddy, the static ones are those I'd like to use pdns to propagate the constantly changing dynamic IPs of our devices.
I don't understand that last sentence, can you reword it?

> I do not want to allow remote resolve using this dns server but it would be useful if I could allow it from the lan side at least since the dns server is there so, why not use it.
You can do this with bind, but as I said before, powerdns has separate
authoritative and recursive servers.

You can run both on the same machine if you run them in separate VMs, or
in containers, or bound to two different IP addresses on the same server.

> I am not sure that I can use dns in this manner. I've always only ever had all of the records in one set of dns servers such as master/slave.

Your options are:

1. Use a different domain (subdomain) for your static and dynamic
records. Godaddy controls one domain; pdns controls the other one.  This
is very simple, if you don't mind the static and dynamic records being
separated in this way.

2. Make your pdns server be the master, and godaddy be the slave.  (I
believe you can do this with godaddy premium DNS). Then you would
completely do away with the godaddy web interface, and manage all your
records via pdns / poweradmin.

3. Use the godaddy API for updating your records, and make pdns be a
dumb slave to godaddy.

Some example code using the godaddy API is here:
https://github.com/josteink/le-godaddy-dns

But this is quite an uninteresting way of running pdns :-(

Regards,

Brian.