[Pdns-users] Where is the database schema?

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Feb 28 10:20:22 UTC 2017

On 28/02/2017 10:02, NoBloat wrote:
> 1: docs say that when adding/updating/removing records from the db, powerdns never needs to be restarted.
> If I manually add a record into the db without using the powerdns interface, will pdns know to update itself instantly?
Correct - it will just query the database as required.
> 2: is there a way of adding/updating/removing records from the command line without using mysql?
Yes, see "pdnsutil":

$ pdnsutil add-record
Syntax: pdnsutil add-record ZONE name type [ttl] "content" ["content"...]

and/or you can use the REST API.
> 3: After installing the powerdns server, do I change the /etc/resolv.conf file to 127.0.0.1 in order to use this dns server rather than an external?

PowerDNS separates the functions of "recursor" (caching nameserver) and
"authoritative server" into two separate systems.

Your /etc/resolv.conf should always point to a recursive nameserver, not
an authoritative server.  So no, do not point it at 127.0.0.1 if you are
running pdns-server (authoritative) locally.

You can run pdns-recursor elsewhere in your network if you wish, or just
leave resolv.conf pointing to your existing recursive nameserver.

Regards,

Brian.