[Pdns-users] Where is the database schema?

NoBloat bloat at grounded.net
Tue Feb 28 10:02:00 UTC 2017

I've been toiling with pdns for the past few days and keep finding that much of the information on the net on how to go about setting this up is a mess of versions that don't work.

I've rebuilt from scratch and this should all be pretty simple but to confirm, I need some help so posting here.

First, I am setting this up on a Centos7 server.
The version I am using is https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-4.0.3.tar.bz2

I also installed pdns-backend-mysql which seemed to be needed since there were errors until I installed this.

Now the package is installed but of course, doesn't install the database. This is where I need your help to confirm I am doing the right things.

I then use the following schema;
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/blob/master/modules/gmysqlbackend/schema.mysql.sql

QUESTION: Is this the correct schema for the version I have installed?

I restart the server and do not see any errors.

Now, I want to add the admin package so install the following.
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/poweradmin/poweradmin-2.1.7.tgz

QUESTION: Is this the correct package for the version of pdns which I have installed?

After these two things are installed, is there anything else I need to install in order to have a master authoritative server which mainly only propagates outward, meaning, no client connections.

QUESTIONS

1: docs say that when adding/updating/removing records from the db, powerdns never needs to be restarted.
If I manually add a record into the db without using the powerdns interface, will pdns know to update itself instantly?

2: is there a way of adding/updating/removing records from the command line without using mysql?

3: After installing the powerdns server, do I change the /etc/resolv.conf file to 127.0.0.1 in order to use this dns server rather than an external?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.