[Pdns-users] pdns 4.0 - domain notifcation (master which is not a master)

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Mon Jun 13 07:57:34 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:47:22 +0200
Bit World Computing - Michael Mertel <michael.mertel at bwc.de> wrote:

> finally I replaced an ancient pdns 2.x with a 4.0 and found a weird combination of log messages.
>

> - 1 domain for which we are master needs notifications
> - Received NOTIFY for bwc.de. from 81.209.129.225 which is not a master
>

> I’am using the gmysql backend, and the zone bwc.de is listed as type=master in the domains table.
>
> Any idea what I’am doing wrong here.

This means that PowerDNS could not figure out its own IP address and sent a notification to itself. The prevent-self-notification[1] option is set to 'yes' by default. If you have not changed this, it could mean that there might be something interfering with the own-address detection. Could you share your PowerDNS config, the output of `ip address show` (or the equivalent for your platform) and OS name an version with us?

Best regards,

Pieter

1 - https://doc.powerdns.com/md/authoritative/settings/#prevent-self-notification

--