[Pdns-users] pdns 4.0 - domain notifcation (master which is not a master)

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Tue Jun 14 08:09:55 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:19:19 +0200
Bit World Computing - Michael Mertel <michael.mertel at bwc.de> wrote:

> thanks again for your help. Below all information you asked for. Sorry for sending this off-list, but I’am a little bit overcautious posting internals to a mailing list. If we find a solution I’ll post the results.

Please see our blog regarding private support: https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/, I will have a look at this, as it is 4.0 and we have a soft spot for people running bleeding edge. So here is
my reply on-list without your configs.

> Don’t get confused about the port 5153 in the pdns.conf … I’am running a dnsdist on port 53 and for all requests from the secondary I’ll NAT 81.209.129.225:53 -> 81.209.129.225:5153 to get AXFR to work.

I believe that is the issue here, I did some tests and can only replicate this
issue with the NAT in place. We use the port as well when we figure out if we
try to notify ourselves. This kind of network-level "hacks" are very had to
code against.

If you are comfortable with compiling it yourself, AXFR and NOTIFY forwarding
support was added to dnsdist yesterday[1] so you could compile it and configure
it with that[2].

Best regards,

Pieter

1 - https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/3975