[Pdns-users] Customize recursor configuration at runtime

Andrea Cappelli a.cappelli at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 10:27:10 UTC 2016

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:14:33AM +0200, Andrea Cappelli wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to change some recursor configuration (for exampe
> > forward-zone-recurse) at runtime for the specific request via LUA script
> > based on source IP
>
> Hi Andrea,

Hi Bert

> You can't change PowerDNS Recursor configuration settings from Lua.

ok

> The
> setting you mention however can be reloaded with 'rec_control
> reload-zones'.

But this way is still "global", my need is "per request"

> > Can you point me to some documentation or examples to accomplish this?
>
> If you want to forward dynamically based on IP address,

That's my goal :)

> dnsdist might be a
> better fit for your needs, http://www.dnsdist.org/

Thank you, I'll look to the documentation

> Also, if you can explain your usecase (what you are trying to achieve)

I manage a linux device which is the default gateway and DNS server for a
LAN in which there are some device that need to use this service

https://www.unblock-us.com/

which (through a set of DNS server) is used to avoid geo restriction on
some apps (such as netflix)

But for other devices (the ones from http://www.sonos.com/ which have apps
for Spotify and so on) using those DNS instead of normal recursion is not
good

So what I want is using my usual recursor or forwarding all request to a
third party DNS server based on source IP (devices are statically allocated)

Best regards

--
Andrea Cappelli