[Pdns-users] Currently using distro packages, want to update

Nicholas Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Thu Feb 19 21:13:51 UTC 2015

So I've gathered now that I can get 3.4.2 from https://www.monshouwer.eu/download/3rd_party/pdns/el6/ for my CentOS 6 machine, https://www.monshouwer.eu/download/3rd_party/pdns/el7/ fro my CentOS 7 machine, and http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/dns/SLE_12/ for my OpenSUSE 12 machine (or update to OpenSUSE 13 and use http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/dns/openSUSE_13.2/).

But the problem that doesn't solve is my impending need to install the PDNS 3.5 release candidate when it's available. I gather there will be RPMs available, but I doubt I'll be able to get it on any of these repos. Is there anyone who can answer my original 3 questions (below) about this?

> - Since I won't have auto dependency management, what dependencies do I need installed to install PDNS from RPM?
>
> - Does pdns-static-3.4.2-1.x86_64.rpm _just_ install the binaries, or does it install the service, too, so that I can call `service pdns start` and configure the service to start automatically on boot? If the RPM doesn't do that, is there documentation / what is the recommended way to install PDNS as a service when installed manually with an RPM?
>
> - Should I just be able to uninstall the package using my package manager and then install the RPM as a drop-in replacement?

Thanks!

Nick