[Pdns-users] Currently using distro packages, want to update

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Thu Feb 19 21:31:31 UTC 2015

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 03:13:51 PM Nicholas Williams wrote:
> > - Since I won't have auto dependency management, what dependencies do I
> > need installed to install PDNS from RPM?

You can use yum to install a local RPM, and it will resolve dependencies (yum
localinstall rpmfile, I believe)

> > - Does pdns-static-3.4.2-1.x86_64.rpm _just_ install the binaries, or does
> > it install the service, too, so that I can call `service pdns start` and
> > configure the service to start automatically on boot? If the RPM doesn't
> > do that, is there documentation / what is the recommended way to install
> > PDNS as a service when installed manually with an RPM?

rpm -q -l -p pdns-static-3.4.2-1.x86_64.rpm, see if it puts a file in
/etc/init.d. If it does, you still may need to chkconfig --add it, and chkconfig
--level 345 service_name on to add it to boot).

never used the static rpms myself.

Building RPMs, deconstructing them, and even creating your own init scripts
are pretty common linux system administration tasks, especially if you want to
run bleeding edge software on CentOS. You might want to dig into them at some
point.