[Pdns-users] experience upgrade 2.9 > 3.3.1

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jul 11 11:12:05 UTC 2014

Hello Willem,

On 11 Jul 2014, at 12:08 , Willem <gwillem at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, here are my notes from upgrading our 1M records mysql-based setup from 2.9 to 3.3.1:
>
> One nasty bug that was our reason to upgrade in the first place, is gone. We used to have 1 out of every million queries giving a false NXDOMAIN reply, not anymore. You could call us very happy ;)

That’s good to hear!

> Another thing biting us, is that an A query for x.sub.dom.tld doesn't work anymore, given A records "*.dom.tld" and "sub.dom.tld". An A query for x.sub2.dom.tld does still work. We haven't fixed this yet. I've posted the details at https://gist.github.com/gwillem/6bbcf43545de6c25cf0e

I’m sorry to inform you that those records only worked the way you wanted them due to a *bug*. What you are seeing from 3.3.1 is correct behaviour. If you want the wildcard to apply there, you need to add *.sub.domain.nl explicitly.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/