[Pdns-users] experience upgrade 2.9 > 3.3.1

Willem gwillem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:08:35 UTC 2014

FYI, here are my notes from upgrading our 1M records mysql-based setup from
2.9 to 3.3.1:

One nasty bug that was our reason to upgrade in the first place, is gone.
We used to have 1 out of every million queries giving a false NXDOMAIN
reply, not anymore. You could call us very happy ;)

A huge issue (for us) was the stricter database model. The new pdns
requires every record to have the same domain_id as the corresponding SOA
record. Specifically, this means that an A record for sub.domain.tld will
not work anymore, if a SOA record for sub.domain.tld with another domain_id
exists. We had to rewrite quite a few procedures to comply with this new
behaviour and run a periodic check on our database to see whether there are
still processes that write the wrong domain_id's.

Another thing biting us, is that an A query for x.sub.dom.tld doesn't work
anymore, given A records "*.dom.tld" and "sub.dom.tld". An A query for
x.sub2.dom.tld does still work. We haven't fixed this yet. I've posted the
details at https://gist.github.com/gwillem/6bbcf43545de6c25cf0e

All in all, the upgrade and fixing all dependencies was a lot of work (3
weeks), but a big succes.
Thanks for making powerdns!

Willem