[Pdns-users] Pdns Remote vs Pipe backend performance

Aleksey Chudov aleksey.chudov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:05:39 UTC 2013

On 06.03.2013 17:45, bert hubert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 05:42:54PM +0200, Aleksey Chudov wrote:
>> And what do you think about the implementation of Pipe protocol over
>> unix socket?
> We're looking into it right now, it seems a worthwhile idea that should not
> be too hard to implement.
>
> One thing I wonder about - why is it hard to do pipe to your java platform?
> Is it hard to launch the JRE from PowerDNS?

I discussed it with our developers.

There is several problems if launch JVM directly from PowerDNS
1. multiple independent JVM processes consume much more memory
2. our application checks the status of the remote servers. So, when run
multiple instances the number of tests increases respectively and/or we
need to synchronize instances with each other. This complicates the program
3. currently we use the JVM stdout for logging. it is convenient and
work for all our applications

I could probably think of some more examples of why we would like to use
a single JVM application per server and unix socket for communication
with PowerDNS :)

Aleksey