[Pdns-users] unwanted SERVFAIL with bind backend

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jun 28 07:39:45 UTC 2013

Hello Pawel,

On Jun 28, 2013, at 9:05 , Pawel Panek wrote:

>> 3.2 will reply with 'NOERROR' for any non-existing domain, and I am not aware
>> how to change this, spare altering the code. sending REFUSED is ok, but
>> replying with NXDOMAIN is basically claiming that "yeah, i am sure this does
>> not exists anywhere".
>
> I was wondering why authoritative pdns is answering to non-existing
> domains with NOERROR status while other dns servers I know (bind.
> mydns) and many other I checked on the net always respond with
> SERVFAIL or REFUSED. I thought I have a bug in my backend but
> according to above this is correct answer for such domains.

We do this because we believe it provides optimal interoperability.

> Following OP question: isn't this answer causing troubles for domain registrars?

We have had zero reports about our empty no-aa NOERROR causing domain registrar trouble, before this thread.

If nic.at really chokes on the NOERROR, this is a recent change, and we would like to hear more about it.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/