[Pdns-users] unwanted SERVFAIL with bind backend

Pawel Panek pawel.panek at cloudaccess.net
Fri Jun 28 07:05:15 UTC 2013

Hello,

> 3.2 will reply with 'NOERROR' for any non-existing domain, and I am not aware
> how to change this, spare altering the code. sending REFUSED is ok, but
> replying with NXDOMAIN is basically claiming that "yeah, i am sure this does
> not exists anywhere".
>
> Aki Tuomi

I was wondering why authoritative pdns is answering to non-existing
domains with NOERROR status while other dns servers I know (bind.
mydns) and many other I checked on the net always respond with
SERVFAIL or REFUSED. I thought I have a bug in my backend but
according to above this is correct answer for such domains.
Following OP question: isn't this answer causing troubles for domain registrars?