[Pdns-users] What is a domain?

Marc Haber mh+pdns-users at zugschlus.de
Thu Jul 25 06:08:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:37:57PM -0400, Wolfgang Faust wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a PowerDNS server with a MySQL backend. However, I'm
> not entirely sure what a 'domain' is. For example, in the FQDN '
> asperand.svr.example.com', is it:
> * The entire domain name ('asperand.svr.example.com')
> * The part of the domain name system we have authority over ('example.com')
> * Everything but the last part ('svr.example.com')
> * or something else entirely?

It is the part of the domain name system, we have authority over.
Speaking in bind terms, it's the string you would have in the "zone"
statement.

> Also, what is this table used for, and what are all the fields in it?

It is basically the complement to the configuration file in bind.

>  Which ones need to be set to what when I configure DNS?

If you are running as a master, you only need name and type="master".

If you are running as a slave, you need name, master with the IP adress
of the master, type as "slave".

>  The documentation
>  (http://doc.powerdns.com/html/generic-mypgsql-backends.html) is quite
>  good on explaining this for the `records` table, but rather sparse on
>  explanations for the `domains` table. The closest I can come is §3.9
>  'Native operation', which seems to imply that it's possible to drop
>  the foreign key constraint entirely and not use the domains table at
>  all.

It does indeed suggest that. I have never used PowerDNS this way though.

> If it matters, I'm going to be using native replication to minimize
> delays for updates. I've set up a MySQL cluster with a slave on the
> same system as the PowerDNS server.

If you're talking native MySQL replication as opposed to native DNS
replication, your domain table have "master" in the type field for all
zones.

Greetings
Marc