[Pdns-users] What is a domain?

Wolfgang Faust wolfgangmcq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 02:37:57 UTC 2013

I'm trying to set up a PowerDNS server with a MySQL backend. However, I'm
not entirely sure what a 'domain' is. For example, in the FQDN '
asperand.svr.example.com', is it:
* The entire domain name ('asperand.svr.example.com')
* The part of the domain name system we have authority over ('example.com')
* Everything but the last part ('svr.example.com')
* or something else entirely?

Also, what is this table used for, and what are all the fields in it? Which
ones need to be set to what when I configure DNS? The documentation
(http://doc.powerdns.com/html/generic-mypgsql-backends.html) is quite good
on explaining this for the `records` table, but rather sparse on
explanations for the `domains` table. The closest I can come is ยง3.9
'Native operation', which seems to imply that it's possible to drop the
foreign key constraint entirely and not use the domains table at all.

If it matters, I'm going to be using native replication to minimize delays
for
updates. I've set up a MySQL cluster with a slave on the same system as the
PowerDNS server.