[Pdns-users] What is a domain?

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Thu Jul 25 07:45:13 UTC 2013

Hi there,

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Marc Haber <mh+pdns-users at zugschlus.de>wrote:

> > If it matters, I'm going to be using native replication to minimize
> > delays for updates. I've set up a MySQL cluster with a slave on the
> > same system as the PowerDNS server.
>
> If you're talking native MySQL replication as opposed to native DNS
> replication, your domain table have "master" in the type field for all
> zones.

Actually that would be 'NATIVE'.
When you have 'MASTER' in the domains table PowerDNS will send notifies to
all NS records in the zone apex provided that master=yes in pdns.conf.
Likewise you'd need slave=yes and 'SLAVE' in the domains table to enable
slave mode in PowerDNS where it reacts to such notifies and tries to AXFR
the zone from the master IP.

 Stefan