[Pdns-users] PowerDNS recursor - use of root server results

James Leavers james.leavers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:52:08 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 11:32, bert hubert <bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 11:28:20AM +0000, James Leavers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it correct that the recursor will use the results from the root
> servers
> > as opposed to the next level down, the gTLD servers? For instance: dig ns
> > yahooapis.com on my PowerDNS recursor:
>
> Yes, for NS records and currently released PowerDNS versions, this is true.
> It is a slight wart.
>
> > The root servers have ns7 whereas the gtld servers do not. So it's almost
> > as if my pDNS implementation (pdns-recursor-3.1.5-1.el5.centos) is using
> > the root server results as opposed to the gtld results. Is this what's
> > happening?
>
> Once a single query has gone on to the servers with all the data, that data
> then prevails (after the packetcache has expired which contained the first
> answer based on the COM server answer).
>
> --
> PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
> PowerDNS Community Website: http://wiki.powerdns.com/
> PowerDNS is supported and developed by Netherlabs:
> http://www.netherlabs.nl

Thanks - as a test I have just installed the latest version
pdns-recursor-3.3-1 on a separate server and copied recursor.conf across
from the original server to make it the fairest test I could think of -
interestingly this does not appear to have the same issue.

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_5.3 <<>> @localhost ns
yahooapis.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;yahooapis.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
yahooapis.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.yahoo.com.
yahooapis.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.yahoo.com.
yahooapis.com. 86400 IN NS ns3.yahoo.com.
yahooapis.com. 86400 IN NS ns5.yahoo.com.