[Pdns-users] PowerDNS recursor - use of root server results

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Nov 1 11:32:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 11:28:20AM +0000, James Leavers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it correct that the recursor will use the results from the root servers
> as opposed to the next level down, the gTLD servers? For instance: dig ns
> yahooapis.com on my PowerDNS recursor:

Yes, for NS records and currently released PowerDNS versions, this is true.
It is a slight wart.

> The root servers have ns7 whereas the gtld servers do not. So it's almost
> as if my pDNS implementation (pdns-recursor-3.1.5-1.el5.centos) is using
> the root server results as opposed to the gtld results. Is this what's
> happening?

Once a single query has gone on to the servers with all the data, that data
then prevails (after the packetcache has expired which contained the first
answer based on the COM server answer).

--
PowerDNS Website: http://www.powerdns.com/
PowerDNS Community Website: http://wiki.powerdns.com/