[Pdns-users] pdns slave

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Tue May 22 13:59:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 03:19:13PM +0200, Emiel van Berlo wrote:
> The manual warns about possible strange behaviour with this trailing
> dot business.
> When I do a dig to my dns servers everything seems o.k.
> But will it be o.k. in six months?
>
> When I setup a master or native domain we don't put in the trailing
> dot and we follow the manual.
> (SOA : ns1.danego.net noc at danego.net 2012010101 etc)
>
> All this is working and doing as I think it should.
>
> Then I add a slave domain (or a superslave, doesn't matter behaviour
> is the same)
>
> PowerDNS gets an incoming zone transfer.
> all records that have the trailing dot appear in the database without
> this trailing dot.
> except for the SOA record.
>
> I know that on DNS level there should be a trailing dot.
> And yes I know powerdns adds this trailing dot when I do a dig.
>
> but WHY do I have slaved NS and MX records in the powerdns database
> without this trailing dot and why does the SOA have this trailing dot?
>
> my concern is the warning in the manual, expect STRANGE behaviour if
> you add trailing dots in the powerdns database.

Ah, now I see. I missed that PDNS was adding the "." to the SOA record
when setup as a slave. It has been doing that for a long time and we
have never had a problem. I would just not add the "." when adding
records manually to the DB, although it looks like a "." at the end
of the primary NS delegation in the SOA record is okay.

Cheers,
Ken