[Pdns-users] pdns slave

Emiel van Berlo evberlo at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:19:13 UTC 2012

The manual warns about possible strange behaviour with this trailing
dot business.
When I do a dig to my dns servers everything seems o.k.
But will it be o.k. in six months?

When I setup a master or native domain we don't put in the trailing
dot and we follow the manual.
(SOA : ns1.danego.net noc at danego.net 2012010101 etc)

All this is working and doing as I think it should.

Then I add a slave domain (or a superslave, doesn't matter behaviour
is the same)

PowerDNS gets an incoming zone transfer.
all records that have the trailing dot appear in the database without
this trailing dot.
except for the SOA record.

I know that on DNS level there should be a trailing dot.
And yes I know powerdns adds this trailing dot when I do a dig.

but WHY do I have slaved NS and MX records in the powerdns database
without this trailing dot and why does the SOA have this trailing dot?

my concern is the warning in the manual, expect STRANGE behaviour if
you add trailing dots in the powerdns database.