[Pdns-users] Running pdns alongside pdns-recursor on the same host

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 13:38:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Daniel L. Miller <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:

> On 6/7/2012 2:38 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>

>> However, coming from BIND, my mind is transfixed with the single daemon
>> which can do both authoritative and recursion (selectively). Does it mean
>> that with pdns, I have to run at minimum THREE separate servers - one
>> master, one slave, one recursor?
>>

> In the DNS world, I've seen two implementation paradigms:  combined daemon
> (BIND, dnsMasq) vs separate authoritative and recursors (djbdns, PowerDNS).
>  I am no security expert - but it seems like the "newer" DNS
> implementations use separate daemons.  Having dedicated daemons means each
> can be optimized for its particular task:  either retrieving fixed answers
> from a storage backend and serving them as rapidly as possible, or
> communicating with other servers and caching the results.  It also means
> upgrades or changes can be done to one service without affecting the other.
>
> Whether or not you have the server processes running on the same machine
> is up to you.  If you require a slave authoritative server - you can also
> have a secondary recursor - which means (heavens!) FOUR separate server
> processes on various machines.
>
> The question is not, why doesn't PowerDNS implement its services the same
> way BIND does.  The question is does PowerDNS solve your DNS needs in an
> efficient & reliable manner.  Traditionally, IMHO, in the UNIX world,
> multiple dedicated function processes are preferred to monolithic daemons.
>  Windows may be different.
> --
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the clarification. I am now getting the gist of PowerDNS quite
fast, also thanks to Oli.
Since I want to run two authoritative (1 Master, 1 Slave), I have now
learnt that they can also act as master-recursor and slave-recursor as long
as I give them each TWO IPs for the two daemons, or a single IP with
recursor listening on a different port and the authoritative configured to
forward queries to the recursor on IP:Port.

I am now reading about master and slave - without using the backend,
although it would appear using the backend is quite dandy.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,