[Pdns-users] Running pdns alongside pdns-recursor on the same host

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Jun 7 13:29:58 UTC 2012

On 6/7/2012 2:38 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> However, coming from BIND, my mind is transfixed with the single
> daemon which can do both authoritative and recursion (selectively).
> Does it mean that with pdns, I have to run at minimum THREE separate
> servers - one master, one slave, one recursor?

In the DNS world, I've seen two implementation paradigms:  combined
daemon (BIND, dnsMasq) vs separate authoritative and recursors (djbdns,
PowerDNS).  I am no security expert - but it seems like the "newer" DNS
implementations use separate daemons.  Having dedicated daemons means
each can be optimized for its particular task:  either retrieving fixed
answers from a storage backend and serving them as rapidly as possible,
or communicating with other servers and caching the results.  It also
means upgrades or changes can be done to one service without affecting
the other.

Whether or not you have the server processes running on the same machine
is up to you.  If you require a slave authoritative server - you can
also have a secondary recursor - which means (heavens!) FOUR separate
server processes on various machines.

The question is not, why doesn't PowerDNS implement its services the
same way BIND does.  The question is does PowerDNS solve your DNS needs
in an efficient & reliable manner.  Traditionally, IMHO, in the UNIX
world, multiple dedicated function processes are preferred to monolithic
daemons.  Windows may be different.
--
Daniel