[Pdns-users] Running pdns alongside pdns-recursor on the same host

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Jun 7 14:02:42 UTC 2012

On 6/7/2012 6:38 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. I am now getting the gist of PowerDNS
> quite fast, also thanks to Oli.
> Since I want to run two authoritative (1 Master, 1 Slave), I have now
> learnt that they can also act as master-recursor and slave-recursor as
> long as I give them each TWO IPs for the two daemons, or a single IP
> with recursor listening on a different port and the authoritative
> configured to forward queries to the recursor on IP:Port.
>
> I am now reading about master and slave - without using the backend,
> although it would appear using the backend is quite dandy.

Note also that due to PowerDNS' flexibility, you have a choice of which
servers to expose and which to conceal.  In other words, you can either
setup the recursor with a list of locally served domains, or setup the
authoritative server with a list of proxy recursors.  I haven't seen a
definitive answer as to which is "better" in the PowerDNS world.  Since
I came to PowerDNS from djbdns, I've setup mine with the recursor
exposed and the authoritative server concealed.

Unless you receive definitive instruction from much more informed
sources than I - use whichever method appeals to you.
--
Daniel