[Pdns-users] Running pdns alongside pdns-recursor on the same host

kalpesh thaker kalpesh at webdevworld.com
Thu Jun 7 09:51:28 UTC 2012

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> At the moment, my pdns listens on 127.0.0.1 while the recursor listens
> on 192.168.40.252
> I do understand the suggestion of using the alias IP.
> However, coming from BIND, my mind is transfixed with the single
> daemon which can do both authoritative and recursion (selectively).
> Does it mean that with pdns, I have to run at minimum THREE separate
> servers - one master, one slave, one recursor?

it is possible to have the recursor and authoritative server on the same
physical host.... its just not advisable thats all.
they however they will need to be run as two seperate servers
(pdns-server & pdns-recursor) on the host.

> One other question I asked was why I am not able to resolve queries
> for domains hosted by my ISP. With BIND (sorry to always refer to it)
> running cache-only on my machine, things work fine.

add the following to your recursor, then you should be able to recurse
zones hosted by your authoritative server and ISP as well:

forward-zones-recurse=.=(authoritative server IP);(ISP DNS server)

i.e

forward-zones-recurse=.=127.0.0.1;8.8.8.8

as a working example.

kt.