[Pdns-users] Running pdns alongside pdns-recursor on the same host

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 09:38:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM, kalpesh thaker <kalpesh at webdevworld.com>wrote:

> Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
>
>> 1. I don't see how to run both concurrently on the same host as they
>>> always
>>> conflict on the IP. The host has a singe address - 192.168.40.252.
>>>
>> You cannot run two services of any kind on a single IP address, so
>> running two DNS servers on one address won't work. See if you can put
>> one of the servers on a loopback address, and the other on your public
>> IP.
>>

> in any case, its not really a good idea to have your recursor and
> authoritative DNS servers on the same host... however, to add onto Jan-Piet
> Mens comment, a cheap and dirty way to accomplish this would be to assign a
> virtual interface to your primary NIC with another IP, then assign the
> authorative server to use it, with the recursor setup on the 'real'
> interface open to the world...... then use the "forward-zones-recurse="
> function on the recursor to foward queries to the 'virtual IP addressed'
> authoritative server. obviously there will be cons to using this setup, and
> isnt advisable to use this in a live environment (best to have two physical
> NIC's with seperate public IP's that listen and respond to request
> individually for each server).
>
> all the best

Thank you Jan and Kalpesh.

At the moment, my pdns listens on 127.0.0.1 while the recursor listens on
192.168.40.252
I do understand the suggestion of using the alias IP.
However, coming from BIND, my mind is transfixed with the single daemon
which can do both authoritative and recursion (selectively). Does it mean
that with pdns, I have to run at minimum THREE separate servers - one
master, one slave, one recursor?

One other question I asked was why I am not able to resolve queries for
domains hosted by my ISP. With BIND (sorry to always refer to it) running
cache-only on my machine, things work fine.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,