[Pdns-users] AXFR Error: Unknown record was stored incorrectly, need 3 fields, got 1

Anthony Eden anthonyeden at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 08:13:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I sent this to Peter directly and did not CC the list...
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Peter van Dijk <
> peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hello Anthony,
>>
>> On Jul 3, 2012, at 17:41 , Anthony Eden wrote:
>>
>> > I am using PowerDNS 3 with a MySQL backend and am attempting an AXFR,
>> however I am receiving the following error for a URL record (which we store
>> and handle with a custom backend during normal resolution)
>> >
>> >   Exception: Unknown record was stored incorrectly, need 3 fields, got 1
>> >
>> > This error is described in http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/ticket/156and is marked as resolved. That was against 2.9.21 however so I wonder if
>> this is a regression or something else?
>>
>> URL records are not supported in PowerDNS 3 and up. How does your custom
>> backend handle AXFR? Or are you leaving AXFR to a gsql backend?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>

> My goal was to have AXFR on its own host and use a gqsl backend. It seems
> that it is blowing up on some other non-standard record types we have as
> well, so I think a custom AXFR backend is probably the best choice at this
> time. What do you think?

 After speaking to Peter on IRC here are the options I can pursue:

1.) Modify the gmysql-list-query so that it skips custom records (like
URL). When we switch to DNSSEC then we would modify
the gmysql-list-query-auth query instead.
2.) Discuss with the customer another approach for slaving since dropping
records seems to negate the benefits of the slave.

I'm leaning towards option 2 at this point but am awaiting feedback from
our customer.

Thanks, Peter, for helping out.

-Anthony

--