[Pdns-users] pdns & nproxy

Fred Wittekind rom at twister.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 5 18:18:23 UTC 2012

I'm working on deploying pdns, and we had intended to use native
replication (mysql-replication).

Our idea was to have one master dns server that sits behind a firewall,
and our public facing servers replicate from it.  This works well for
90%+ of the domains we host.  We do have a few we have to slave from our
clients though.

My original plan was to have nproxy sit on the public facing name
servers to forward the notify to the master dns server behind the
firewall, the master then does the axfr from our client's server,
populates mysql with the new zone info, that then replicates out to the
public facing servers.

Then I got this error when trying to start nproxy (IP address censored):
nproxy: Fatal: Binding socket for incoming packets to 'a.b.c.d:53':
Address already in use

Which of course makes sense after seeing it, pdns is already binding to
the same IP/port.

So, my question is this...  Can the functionality of nproxy be rolled
into pdns so that pdns itself can forward the notify to another instance
of pdns (on the master server), or can nproxy and pdns be made to work
on the same IP.   I looked into trying to see if I could get iptables to
split out the notify messages to a different destination IP so I could
put nproxy on a different IP than pdns, but, I didn't figure out a good
(reliable) way to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Wittekind