[Pdns-users] pdns & nproxy

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Thu Jul 5 22:00:00 UTC 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 8:18 PM, Fred Wittekind wrote:
> Then I got this error when trying to start nproxy (IP address censored):
> nproxy: Fatal: Binding socket for incoming packets to 'a.b.c.d:53': Address already in use
>
> Which of course makes sense after seeing it, pdns is already binding to the same IP/port.
>
> So, my question is this...  Can the functionality of nproxy be rolled into pdns so that pdns itself can forward the notify to another instance of pdns (on the master server), or can nproxy and pdns be made to work on the same IP.   I looked into trying to see if I could get iptables to split out the notify messages to a different destination IP so I could put nproxy on a different IP than pdns, but, I didn't figure out a good (reliable) way to do this.

Interesting. The original use case was where the outside world would never be talking to that master, or at least not taking the initiative to do so. So the outside world would think the nproxy IP address was the slave, and nproxy would then relay that to the real slave, which would reach out over TCP to make it happen. I think some NAT trick is used to make sure that the outgoing traffic appears as the address that was notified.

If you want to have this integrated, what exactly is your use case? Better protection for the hidden master?

Please don't get me wrong, I get the impression what you want is reasonable, but I can't quite wrap my head around your exact requirements.

Please let us know!

	Bert
	PowerDNS