[Pdns-users] Sorting of DNS responses

Roland Schwingel Roland.Schwingel at onevision.com
Mon May 2 07:00:30 UTC 2011

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply...

Nick Milas <nmilas at admin.noa.gr> wrote on 01.05.2011 18:03:23:

> On 29/4/2011 10:43 πμ, Roland Schwingel wrote:
>

> > I am using pdns 2.9.22 with ldap backend for many months now. It works

> > very nice and without troubles.Thanks for this...
> > Maybe I am too dump to find this in the docu but I need to sort the
> > Similar to the sortlist feature of bind.
> >

> I am happy to hear that you are one more user of the LDAP backend; we
> have a hard time identifying such users and as a result the LDAP backend

> is in a bit of a possible crisis, I'm afraid... (I assume you must have
> only now subscribed to this list.)
I subscribed the day I wrote this post and have read the posts appearing
since
than about the LDAP backend. I am a bit astonished about this. In my
eyes the LDAP backend is THE key benefit of powerdns. The easiness in
setting
it up and it's robustness was the key decision point for me to use
powerdns
instead of any other solution.

> BIND statements rrset-order and sortlist don't seem to be supported with

> any PowerDNS backend, neither in LDAP backend.
This is quite sad to read.

> Are you using LDAP DNS simple style or tree style?
I am using it in strict mode as it was more straight forward for me
to set up.

> One workaround would be to have a different virtual (i.e. without its
> own NS records and without a SOA record) subdomain ("subzone") for each
> network; for example:
> 192.168.0.0/24 ----> sub0.my.net
> 192.168.1.0/24 ----> sub1.my.net
> 192.168.2.0/24 ----> sub2.my.net
> 192.168.4.0/24 ----> sub4.my.net
>
> Then, you would define different names for the host in each network; for

> example:
> myhost.sub0.my.net ----->192.168.0.11
> myhost.sub1.my.net -----> 192.168.1.11
> myhost.sub2.my.net -----> 192.168.2.11
> myhost.sub4.my.net -----> 192.168.4.11
>
> (it doesn't have to be .11 everywhere, but I guess it's more convenient
> from an admin viewpoint.)
>
> This is what we are doing in our networks (we were doing so even with
> BIND, before using PowerDNS with LDAP backend). I believe this is a more

> flexible, scalable and a much more admin-friendly approach.
Thanks for this tip. I see what I can do here on my side to give it a try.
I was also thinking about hacking the resolving of these hosts into pipe
backend
but this is not the ideal solutiong for me.

I have everything in LDAP. Users/Groups/hosts/networks. DHCP and DNS is
served here
completely from LDAP entries. It is fast and very easy to administrate.
When
I would move these hosts into pipe backend they would not be visible
anymore
from within my LDAP admin gui.

I honestly hope that the LDAP backend will survive in pdns 3.0 as it
is (in my eyes) one of the most vital features of pdns and PowerDNS will
definitely loose a big key feature if it would go away!

And I also hope that some kind of sortlist feature will find its way into
pdns soon.
I don't thing that sorting of replies is so uncommon, so pdns should
support it.
In the meantime I have to find a different solution for my problem.

Roland