[Pdns-users] Status of the LDAP backend in 3.0 release

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun May 1 20:39:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 08:57:20PM +0100, Chris Russell wrote:

>  However, I was at the UK version of NANOG (UKNOF) meeting a few weeks
> back, with a lot of people from ISP's and a few fairly senior people from
> ISC and I asked the same question - not one recomended Power DNS with

Well, what can I say. Some of the largest DNS hosters in the UK use
PowerDNS, but perhaps they don't show up at UKNOF meetings? It may also be a
bit much to ask ISC to recommend PowerDNS! ;-)

> i) Is there a correct Schema for MySQL ?  I seem to have found 2 .. one
> pretty basic, and one pretty advanced (with webforwards?) - is there a
> definitive schema to use ?

The 'generic MySQL' one is the one to use.

> ii) When using the MySQL backend, I've noted if the MySQL server is
> restarted, it often takes PowerDNS around a minute to realise this and in
> the interim sends failures - even for records which should be in the cache
> - is there a setting or settings I can look at to make this more efficient
> ?

Hmm, this may be due to http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/2189 and
http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-dev/2011-April/000945.html

It depends a bit on what MySQL does on a restart/reload, if it keeps the old
connections idle and does not close them, this might be what you are seeing.

Can you see if you can reproduce this issue against build 2189, which can be
found on http://powerdnssec.org/downloads/ and
http://powerdnssec.org/downloads/packages ?

>  One thing I will say though, the Bind 10 roadmap does look rather
> interesting, almost giving a powershell type environment to Bind.
> Although thats 3 years away :)

Who knows where PowerDNS is three years from now. I wish BIND 10 the best of
luck.

	Bert