[Pdns-users] Status of the LDAP backend in 3.0 release

Chris Russell Chris.Russell at knowledgeit.co.uk
Sun May 1 19:57:20 UTC 2011

Nick.

> If you search in the Internet, you'll find ample evidence that BIND / DLZ is not a production solution. In terms of performance, it

 Really glad someone started this thread as I was about to post something similar.

 Around 4-5 years ago when we started the ISP I looked into Bind DLZ, and I came to the same conclusion in that it was contrib code and the backend as such was unstable and not production ready. I ended up writing a web interface which translated to a database into text files to load into Bind.

 I`m now in a similar position, in that I need something more dynamic that my current solution,  I've looked into DLZ and pretty saw not too much in the way of serious stability and I've ended up preparing a roll out of PowerDNS.

 However, I was at the UK version of NANOG (UKNOF) meeting a few weeks back, with a lot of people from ISP's and a few fairly senior people from ISC and I asked the same question - not one recomended Power DNS with pretty much similar arguements as you've made vs Bind DLZ. THis was however after 1 or 2 beers but this was some of the bigger UK specific players in networks, hosting and so on.

 I'm more than likely heading down the Power DNS route for my auth servers however, theres a couple of things I've noted which I'd appreciate if you could shed some light on:

i) Is there a correct Schema for MySQL ?  I seem to have found 2 .. one pretty basic, and one pretty advanced (with webforwards?) - is there a definitive schema to use ?

ii) When using the MySQL backend, I've noted if the MySQL server is restarted, it often takes PowerDNS around a minute to realise this and in the interim sends failures - even for records which should be in the cache - is there a setting or settings I can look at to make this more efficient ?

 Am on the 2.9.22 stable RPM release and I admit I could be RTFM incorrectly :)

 One thing I will say though, the Bind 10 roadmap does look rather interesting, almost giving a powershell type environment to Bind. Although thats 3 years away :)

Cheers

Chris

Knowledge I.T.
'Unifying Business Technology'
www.knowledgeit.co.uk

Knowledge Limited, Company Registration: 1554385
Registered Office: New Century House, Crowther Road, Washington, Tyne & Wear. NE38 0AQ
Leeds Office: Viscount Court, Leeds Road, Rothwell, Leeds. LS26 0GR

Tel: 0845 142 0020. Fax: 0845 142 0021

E-Mail Disclaimer: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Knowledge IT may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.