[Pdns-users] Status of the LDAP backend in 3.0 release

Nick Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Sun May 1 09:37:54 UTC 2011

On 1/5/2011 12:58 ðì, Alejandro wrote:

> The other real option to use in LDAP is binddlz project but is
> experimental and very complex to use in any tool, but have all the
> features :(.
>
> I really like to see a update of the powerdns-ldap plugin because also
> I think that ldap is a really good backend to manage DNS.

Hi Alejantro,

Some additional thoughts:

Even in the state it is now, PowerDNS with LDAP backend (and with any
other backend) is an efficient production solution while BIND9/DLZ is not.

I would *not* recommend anyone to switch from PowerDNS, if they want any
working backend except BIND (text files).

See for example tests at:
http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/perf_tests.html. All backends except
BIND suck, esp. LDAP.

If you search in the Internet, you'll find ample evidence that BIND /
DLZ is not a production solution. In terms of performance, it simply is
unacceptable.

Nick