[Pdns-users] CNAME pointing to URL forwarding record

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Thu Mar 31 09:32:07 UTC 2011

On 03/31/2011 09:18 AM, Anthony Eden wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Stefan Schmidt <zaphodb at zaphods.net
> <mailto:zaphodb at zaphods.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Anthony,
>
>     On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Anthony Eden
>     <anthonyeden at gmail.com <mailto:anthonyeden at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         When I point a CNAME record to a URL forwarding record
>         PowerDNS returns a SERVFAIL for the CNAME query when I go
>         through a resolver. If I dig directly against the
>         authoritative server it works just fine. Any suggestions on
>         how I can fix this, other than just replacing the CNAME with
>         another URL

Actually, if you use dig and pay really close attention you should see
you request www.wemakednssimple.com <http://www.sunnybliss.com>

But it returns wemakednssimple.com. without the www. Which is wrong. A
recursor will recognise this and just ignore that part of the answer
(there is nothing else in the answer so you get nothing).

I don't know what the cause is, but this is the result and why it
doesn't work.