[Pdns-users] CNAME pointing to URL forwarding record

Anthony Eden anthonyeden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 07:18:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Stefan Schmidt <zaphodb at zaphods.net> wrote:

> Hi Anthony,
>
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> When I point a CNAME record to a URL forwarding record PowerDNS returns a
>> SERVFAIL for the CNAME query when I go through a resolver. If I dig directly
>> against the authoritative server it works just fine. Any suggestions on how
>> I can fix this, other than just replacing the CNAME with another URL
>> forwarding record?
>>

> Please tell us what you dig for and which server - presumably yours - you
> are asking.
> As there is no such thing as a "URL forwarding record" in DNS in general,
> is it safe to assume that you mean a "URL" fancy record type such as in
> http://doc.powerdns.com/fancy-records.html ?

Working: dig @ns1.dnsimple.com
www.wemakednssimple.com<http://www.sunnybliss.com>
Not working: dig @8.8.8.8 www.wemakednssimple.com<http://www.sunnybliss.com>

And yes, by URL forwarding record I mean the URL fancy record type as
described in the PowerDNS documentation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

--