[Pdns-users] SOA serial number editing on re-signing of a zone / RRSIG changes

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 12:48:09 UTC 2011

Hi Christoph,

I was talking to Bert this morning about this. It turns out his formulae
didn't work for me, because e.g. the INCEPTION formula means the SOA
serial number doesn't change even when zones are updated.

What I'm using now (r2105) is INCREMENT-WEEKS which works like this: the
incoming SOA serial number gets the current week (since epoch) added to
it. This way, since neither incoming SOA serial nor week number ever
decrease, PowerDNS is able to NOTIFY my slaves of an SOA serial update
and they transfer the zone.

http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/changeset/2105

Maybe this will work for you as well?

> BTW, maybe a lua hook would be possible (for maximum flexibility)?

Neat idea ;-)

Regards,

        -JP