[Pdns-users] SOA serial number editing on re-signing of a zone / RRSIG changes

Christof Meerwald cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Mon Mar 28 12:38:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:38:32PM +0200, bert hubert wrote:
> You can set SOA-EDIT to either 'INCEPTION', in which case the SOA serial
> number will be replaced by YYYYMMDD01 of the currently issued RRSIG
> inception, the one that rolls over each Thursday at midnight GMT.

I am not too sure how useful that is if it just replaces the SOA from
the zone - I think it would be more useful if it would use either the
SOA from the zone or the generated one (whichever is greater - and use
YYYYMMDD00 for the generated one).

> I'm pondering 'SERIAL-INCREMENT' that will attempt to upgrade the current
> serial number with the number of weeks that have passed since the original
> serial number found in the SOA record. So if your original SOA serial number
> was 2011022701, and the SOA would be requested today, '4' would be added to
> the serial number, to get 2011022405, which would indicate that the original
> serial date is still 20110224, but that 4 'small' changes have been made.
>
> This gets messy after 100 weeks.

Yes, but unless I have misunderstood the other options, it's currently
the only useful one (at least for me).

BTW, maybe a lua hook would be possible (for maximum flexibility)?

Christof

http://cmeerw.org                              sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org                   xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org