[Pdns-users] master-slave serial problem

Nick Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Fri Mar 25 14:16:32 UTC 2011

Just for the record, there IS a pdns package (and pdns-*-backend packages) in CentOS 5. I have several CentOS 5 machines, none of which have extra repositories like EPEL, and all of them have a pdns package either installed or installable from yum. My openSUSE 10.4 and 11.4 machines also had pdns installed from zypper. I don't know whether CentOS 4 had pdns packages.

You will probably need to patch and rebuild from sources, as CentOS does not maintain packages hardly at all anymore. You'd have to wait until the next version of CentOS. But first let's make sure you have the proper version of CentOS.  Log in to your CentOS/pdns machine and issue this command:

# sudo cat /etc/redhat-release

The results on my machines are all "CentOS release 5.5 (Final)." If yours says "CentOS release 4.x ...", you need to upgrade your machine. If yours says "CentOS release 5.x ..." but not "CentOS release 5.5 (Final)," find a convenient time (during a maintenance window assuming this is a production machine) and install the latest CentOS service pack with this command:

# sudo yum update

That may install a newer version with bug #2077 fixed. It all depends on when that service pack was released and compared to when that bug was fixed.

It's always a good idea to run "yum update" every month or so, in case you didn't know that.

Nick