[Pdns-users] Configure PowerDNS recursor as NON RECURSIVE

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Wed Mar 16 17:41:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM, davis_jira <davis.jira at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adriel Torres,

Hey there,

> Thanks for the reply. I am aware that it has two packages but I am
> wondering
> if I could configure the pdns-recursor stand alone to work as
> non-recursive?
> I guess I can not.

That is correct the only purpose of PowerDNS recursor is to act as a
recursive nameserver.
Although it has been fitted with the ability to serve static zones (see the
forward-zones configuration statement [1]),
it does not have a switch to globally disable recursion.
On most distributions the PowerDNS recursor uses the
/etc/powerdns/recursor.conf file for it's configuration.

> Also could you please tell in brief how does the pdns-server (PowerDNS Auth
> Server) works exactly? I am confused after reading so many things on
> internet.

PowerDNS Server (!= recursor) features lots of backends therefore you first
need to tell it which backend to fire up and use. [2]
The most commonly used is probably the gmysql backend. In order to serve the
data from a mysql database you first need to create some tables. [3]
PowerDNS Server configuration usually resides in the /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf
file.
For a simple mysql backend configuration one would put something like the
following in there:

launch=gmysql
gmysql-host=127.0.0.1
gmysql-dbname=mydatabase
gmysql-user=pdns
gmysql-password=secret

However if you are already familiar to the way BIND is doing things maybe
you want to do your first steps into PowerDNS land with the bind backend.
[4]
That would be something like:

launch=bind
bind-config=/etc/namedb/named.conf - or where your named.conf is situated

The bind backend will simply iterate through the zone statements in
named.conf and load all zonefiles specified there.

[1] http://doc.powerdns.com/built-in-recursor.html#recursor-settings
[2] http://doc.powerdns.com/modules.html
[3] http://doc.powerdns.com/generic-mypgsql-backends.html#id419487
[4] http://doc.powerdns.com/bindbackend.html#id421440