[Pdns-users] SOA serial and auto-serial upgrade confusion

Stephen Harker stephen at positive-internet.com
Thu Mar 10 20:58:29 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I have been running for the last 5 years or so a PowerDNS with (generic)
MySQL backend set up exactly as per this page:

http://doc.powerdns.com/configuring-db-connection.html#configuring-mysql

and it's been working great. But now it's time to upgrade the PDNS
version from 2.9.20 to a more recent version.

However, when I do so, I get the same issue as reported last year here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pdns-users@mailman.powerdns.com/msg03012.html

That is, digging any zone as an AXFR fails after the upgrade because the
serial is zero:

2.6.20:

SOA dns0.positive-internet.com. hostmaster.positive-internet.com.
1299786243 10800 3600 3600000 3600

2.6.21/2.6.22:

SOA dns0.positive-internet.com. hostmaster.positive-internet.com. 0
10800 3600 3600000 3600

The answer is that, apparently, the generic MySQL backend does not
support autoserial. I am confused by this however, as it currently IS
working on my 2.9.20 system. Has this support actually been removed from
the generic MySQL backend between 2.9.20 and 2.9.21 then?

Apologies if I've misunderstood something here :/

Kind regards,

Stephen

--
All postal correspondence to: Positive House, 24 Broadway, London. W13 0SU

The Positive Internet Company Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Registered company number: 3673639. VAT no: 726 7072 28.
Registered office: Northside House, Mount Pleasant, Barnet, Herts, EN4 9EE.